Use Google Apps on a BlackBerry®
You and your users have these options for accessing Google Apps from a BlackBerry®:
BlackBerry® mail through IMAP. Use
the BlackBerry's native mail application to access your Google Apps
mail (requires using your BlackBerry carrier's Internet service).
- Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server. Synchronize users' Google Apps mail, calendar, and contact data with your organization's existing Blackberry® Enterprise Server.
What do you want to learn about?
BlackBerry® mail through IMAP
Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Business/Education edition.
Set up BlackBerry® mail via IMAP
This method is no longer officially supported but we're happy to provide setup instructions, anyway.
You can access your mail from the native BlackBerry® mail application by setting it up as an IMAP client for your Gmail account. Using IMAP is nice in that doing something on the BlackBerry, such as reading or deleting a message, is also reflected in your Gmail interface on the web (and vice versa).
What each user should do
- Make sure you've enabled IMAP in your Gmail account.
- On your BlackBerry®, navigate to your home screen.
- Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry® Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up).
- Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new email account.
- Be sure to enter the following:
- Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
- Username: [your full Gmail address (email@example.com]
- Password: [your Google Apps password]
- IMAP Port: 993
- Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP).
- Select Next.
- Select Next again (bypassing the Additional Information Required section).
- Select your account type, and then select Next. You may encounter a "We were unable to configure..." error. If so, select I will provide the settings to continue.
- Select the option that mentions IMAP/POP.
- Select I will provide the settings..., and then select Next.
- Select Set up existing email account...
- Enter your Gmail account information here, with imap.gmail.com as your mail server.
- Select Next.
- Select Save.
Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
Enjoy this feature, available exclusively with your Google Apps for Business / Education account.
If you have a Blackberry® Enterprise Server at your organization and want to keep using it to manage users' BlackBerry® devices, no problem. Just use Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server. With Google Apps Connector, people in your organization can keep using their built-in BlackBerry® apps to access their Google Apps email, calendar, and contacts. And administrators can keep using use your BlackBerry® Enterprise Server to manage these devices (doing remote wipes, policy management, and so on).
Learn more about Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
How to use Google Apps Connector for your domain
- Download Google Apps Connector.
- Install and set up Google Apps Connector on your BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
- Have each user follow these instructions to set up their BlackBerry® to connect to Google Apps.
When you're done, click Next.